Youth team advance in FA Youth Cup

[cmsmasters_row][cmsmasters_column data_width=”1/1″][cmsmasters_text]

The Spireites advanced to the next round of the FA Youth Cup after they ran out 4-0 winners against Handsworth on Tuesday night, thanks to an inspired second-half performance.

A crowd of 247 at the Technique Stadium witnessed the match on a cold and wet night where Neil Cluxton’s side lived up to their pre-game expectations.

It was a tight, well-contested first half as both sides settled into their new surroundings. The early stages produced very few chances as Brad Charlesworth saw his free kick rebound off the wall before the visitors hit back with a shot from distance which was well saved by Spireites keeper Harry Chapman.

Jacob Barrass also found joy down the right-hand side as he was able to create multiple chances for himself and team-mates that just lacked the finishing touch.

The Ambers defended fiercely but they were soon to become undone.

Nathan Moss rattled the underside of the bar with a thunderous effort from 25 yards which was then followed up by Lekan Torres (41), who headed the ball over the Ambers keeper to give Chesterfield the lead just before the break.

It was a dull start to the second half which again consisted of few chances, one of which from Archie White from the left-hand side of the box that was high, wide and never troubled the keeper.

The second goal came when the Spireites built from the back with a long ball being superbly controlled by Francis Finneran and played inside to Moss who played in Alexander Duhameau (66) and he got the better of two defenders to then run through on goal, compose himself and take it around the keeper to finish into an empty net.

Chesterfield dominated the game and never looked back. Five minutes later, Duhameau turned provider as he returned the favour to Finneran, flicking on a goal-kick for the latter to run onto and finish calmly under the on-rushing keeper.

Chances came thick and fast as the young Spireites forced the Ambers keeper into multiple smart saves.

It wasn’t long before the Spireites made it 4-0 through Jacob Barrass, who cut inside from the right-hand side and drilled a low shot into the far corner from the right-hand side of the box.

Handsworth did not give up and kept pushing. Some careless defending led to a first-time strike which had to be well saved by Chapman.

The last action of the game saw the Ambers get into the Spirietes box on the left-hand side with the resulting shot beating the keeper but not past Dan Greierson, captain for the night, who cleared the ball away to preserve the clean sheet and cap a brilliant second-half performance.

The Spireites now find themselves in the third round qualifying of the FA Youth Cup where they will face the winners of the Boston United v Mickleover Sports tie.

Spireites: Chapman, Allerton, Grierson ©, Wilkinson, Barrass, Charlesworth, Hooper, White, Moss, Finneran, Torres

Substitutes: Preston(Gk), Ashley, Duhameau (60), Waite (87), Mawer (85), Perry-Burdett