Young Spireites held

The young Spireites had to be content with a 0-0 draw at Rugby Town after they struggled to make possession count in front of goal.

The first half was almost completely void of any goalmouth action for either side, with both defences standing strong throughout. 

Goalkeeper Bliss was left very little to do in net through the first 45, however when called upon his handling was notably assertive from set-pieces.

Chesterfield striker Duhameau went close with one of very few chances midway through the first half, as the forward was sent through on goal with a two on two. A sharp turn of pace from Rugby centre back Blakeley was enough to slow down the Spireite however and the chance eventually came to nothing.

It was on the stroke of half time that Chesterfield got their best sight of goal in the first half, as a low cross from Butcher-Simpson was whipped towards the back post. Unfortunately, the onrushing Mawer couldn’t quite convert the cross at the back post which bounced just in front of him.

The second half was much like the first for the opening 15 minutes, with the Spireites dominating possession but failing to create any clear-cut opportunities in front of goal.

There were strong penalty appeals for Chesterfield just after the hour-mark, as Rugby Town full back Taylor appeared to use his arm to control the ball in his box from a dangerous Chesterfield cross. The referee was very quick to dismiss the appeals however, further frustrating the Spireites, who chased an elusive goal with half an hour left.

The golden opportunity that Chesterfield were looking for all game finally fell to substitute Fenton in the 70th minute, as Duhameau slid a ball across the face of goal to the forward, who was left with an open net at the back post. Perhaps the winger lacked match sharpness having only just come off the bench, however his effort from a matter of yards out rattled the bar and bounced over.

It was Duhameau at the centre of the action again in the 85thminute, as the tricky forward nodded the ball over an onrushing goalkeeper and calmly finished into an open net in front of him. An audible groan could be heard from the bench as the goal was disallowed for an offside that had happened earlier in the move.

The Spireites pushed on in the final five minutes and were convincingly the better side, with chances coming by the dozen, including two shots which were flashed just wide by midfielder Mitchell. 

The most notable opportunity came in the final five minutes however, as Duhameau forced his way into the box and smashed a shot at the goalkeeper who managed to save down low before Burkett managed to hook the ball away off the line.

Chesterfield will leave the game frustrated that they couldn’t capitalise on their dominant performance and take all three points home, however they will be more than pleased with the way they moved the ball throughout the match.