Young Spireites take one step closer to title

Chesterfield took one step closer to snatching the league title, as they ran riot against Buxton, beating the team at the foot of the table 12-0.

A superb first half from the young Spireites saw them take a 7-0 lead at the break.

A Mitchell free-kick in the 18th minute set up the opening goal, as his effort cracked the underside of the crossbar, leaving Ross to head home in the goalmouth.

Only two minutes later, Mawer grabbed his first of the day, and Chesterfield’s second, beating the keeper to the ball after latching onto a pass over the top, and lobbing a header into an empty net.

Duhameau (24) bulged the back of the net following a driven cross from White, before Mawer completed his hat-trick with two more brilliant goals.

A volley from just inside the Buxton penalty area in the 33rd minute was followed up by a recreation of his first goal, lobbing the keeper with a header after chasing down a throughball.

It was Duhameau’s turn to complete his hat-trick next, smashing home the penalty (37) he had won, before rounding off a beautifully worked goal from the Spireites.

A smart flick from Mitchell sent Chesterfield on the counterattack, with Mawer picking up the ball and sliding in Duhameau (41), who slotted the ball under the keeper for seven.

Buxton were much more lively following the break, but Chesterfield were still the ones to draw first blood, as Fentem (62) broke the Buxton defence and prodded home.

With the Spireites conscious of their need for a better goal difference in the title race, the side were still pushing for more.

Ross bagged his second of the game on the 70-minute mark, capitalising on a Buxton error in defence.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, Chesterfield completed a hat-trick of hat-tricks, with Ross scoring from inside the box once again after dispossessing the Buxton defence.

Substitute Booker (77) then scored for the Spireites, turning in a well-worked corner routine at the back post, before goalscorer-turned-provider Duhameau rolled the ball across for Mawer (82) to tap into the net.