Spireites edged out at Alfreton

Alfreton Town edged to a 3-2 victory in Chesterfield’s opening pre-season fixture.

Shaun Tuton’s late strike gave Alfreton the win after Tom Denton had seemingly won the game for the Spireites, but two second-half strikes from the hosts sealed it.

James Rowe made use of the roll on/roll off subs during the team’s first run out since the play-off defeat to Notts County. Many of the first team gained vital minutes in their legs before the next friendly awsy to Matlock on Wednesday. 

Jack Clarke, Danny Rowe and Manny Oyeleke all missed the game through illness.

Chesterfield were the first to strike a blow as Jeff King found Stefan Payne on the edge of the box and the striker combined well with Joe Rowley who curled just wide of the post.

Moments later down the left hand side, Calvin Miller beat his man before delivering to the front post where Payne controlled then, on the turn, shot just wide of the right hand post.

Alfreton then carved out two chances of their own. The first, a free kick that flashed across goal before a Matt Rhead header cleared the bar following a long throw.

The Spireites hit back with a blistering counter attack started by Saidou Khan. King worked it centrally before Jak McCourt delivered and Payne headed over from six yards out. 

Halfway through the first half, a Khan miss-kick resulted in him chopping down Elliott Reeves just inside the area. Rhead stepped up to take the resulting penalty and slotted home.

Chesterfield hit back after the water break when King cut inside and fired just wide after beating a couple of opponents. Moments later, Liam Mandeville picked out Khan whose shot was blocked just a few yards out.

Jamie Grimes picked out King on the right and his ball found Rowley at the front post but his flick couldn’t beat George Willis in the home goal.

At the break, Rowe made three changes with two trialists and Nathan Tyson entering the fray, replacing Rowley, Payne and trialist.

The oncoming trialist made an immediate impact when he closed down a back pass from an Alfreton defender. Teddy Unwin-Marris’ attempted clearance was then blocked by the trialist and the ball rolled into the net.

As a result the game opened up slightly. McCourt, Grimes and Tyson all had half chances but none could capitalise.

Soon after coming on as a substitute, Tom Denton marked his return from injury by powerfully heading in from a McCourt corner. 

Alfreton soon hit back as a midfielder drove forward and found the feet of Michael Williams. His shot from distance found the bottom left corner past the diving Scott Loach. 

Chesterfield hit back as McCourt made his way forward but his shot blazed over Unwin-Marris’ bar.

With ten minutes left, a long kick from the trialist was met by Denton who headed on for Tyson who found himself one on one with the goalkeeper and saw his effort blocked.

Almost instantly, Alfreton went down the other end and the ball was crossed in for Shaun Tuton who controlled under pressure and slotted past the trialist in goal.

This would be the last chance of the 90 minutes as the hosts ran out 3-2 winners at the Impact Arena.

Chesterfield: Loach, Miller, Maguire, Grimes, King, Kahn, McCourt, Rowley, Mandeville, Triallist, Payne

Subs (Roll on Roll Off): Whittle, Tyson, Trialist, Trialist, Denton, Oyeleke,, Weston, Gunning, Trialist.