Ahead of the Spireites’ National League home game against Solihull Moors, Kurt Bigg spoke to David Lawrence, of sports agency Write Angle Media, to discuss the Moors squad and ambitions.
Chesterfield and Solihull Moors have faced each other in four competitive games with the Birmingham-based side winning twice. The other two meetings ended in draws.
Since the Moors finished second in the National League in 2019, they have struggled to return to the top of the league. James Shan’s side ended up in ninth place last term.
- Solihull Moors are currently in mid-table. What do they have to do to make a push towards the play-offs?
Getting a few key players back from injury would help. Striker Adam Rooney and central defender Alex Gudger currently top the list and it has been a stop-start season for influential mid-fielders Jamey Osborne and James Ward. They also have games in hand.
- Who do you think is the Moors’ standout player?
Irish international Stephen Gleeson has been central to many of Solihull’s better performances. His ability to both break-up opposition attacks and orchestrate his own side has been a joy to watch at times.
- Solihull have a wealth of EFL experience in their team with the likes of Adam Rooney, Jamie Ward and Krystian Pearce. How have they fitted in with James Shan’s squad?
As mentioned, Rooney and Ward have had injury issues so there’s still plenty more to come from them. Others have brought great knowledge and a calmness which we hope will rub off on some of the youngsters around them.
- James Ball is currently the Moors’ top goalscorer in the league so far. Do you see him staying at the top of the scoring charts. If not, who?
‘Bally’ certainly has a knack for scoring, being in the right place at the right time. But you would have to expect Adam Rooney to be up there once he is back from injury and Kyle Hudlin seems to be able to score from anywhere on the field!
- Where do you reckon Solihull Moors will finish this season?
With their games in hand, the Moors aren’t in a bad place going into the New Year. With their full quota available, I would expect to see them edging into the play-offs. That said, I’m not ruling anything out this season!