Kabongo hat-trick helps Spireites win

Kabongo Tshimanga struck a hat-trick as the Spireites beat Weymouth 4-0, with the striker taking his tally to 16 for the season.

James Rowe made six changes to the side that defeated Southend United in the FA Cup last weekend. Scott Loach, Jim Kellermann, Curtis Weston, Jamie Grimes, Tshimanga and new signing Tyrone Williams were all included in the line-up. 

The first shot on goal fell to Jeff King. After keeping possession on the right, he dribbled infield, fired a shot on his weaker left foot, but his effort was saved by former Blues goalkeeper Ross Fitzsimmons. 

In the 20th minute the Spireites took the lead through Tshimanga. He took the ball down well and crossed for Khan, who saw his shot blocked by a hand on the line, resulting in a penalty and red card for Ollie Harfield. The Spireites’ top scorer coolly tucked home his spot kick. 

The Blues almost doubled their lead five minutes later. Weston finding the feet of Khan who turned his man and fired an effort goalwards and Fitzsimmons tipped over.

On the stroke of half time, Tshimanga tapped home his and the team’s second of the afternoon. A deep free kick was headed Luke Croll, he found Kellermann who let fly, Fitzsimmons saved well but the Blues’ marksman was there to tap home.

Chesterfield went into the break as deserved leaders, having controlled the majority of the first period.

At the start of the second half, King missed a glorious chanceto add a third. Alex Whittle’s deflected cut back allowed King to run onto the ball, but his shot went just over the bar.

The Spireites ramped up the pressure in search of another goal. Jak McCourt, soon after replacing Manny Oyeleke, fired from range but his attempt narrowly missed the target. Then, seconds later, Williams was teed up but, like McCourt, he saw his effort miss the target.

The Blues had their third soon after. It was that man again, Tshimanga, who completed his hatt-trick with a surreal goal. A deflected pass dropped to the striker, who rounded the keeper and fell over before tapping home whilst still on the floor. 

Minutes later the ball was in the Weymouth net again. Tshimanga thought he had his fourth, but the offside flag was raised.

In the 72nd minute, Khan slotted home the fourth of the afternoon. Williams set Kellermann away down the right and his cross fell to Khan who fired into the roof of the net.

For the second time in the game, the offside flag cancelled out a Spireites goal. Khan slipped the ball across for Payne who prodded home but was adjudged to be offside.

In the latter stages of the game, Fitzsimmons in the Weymouth goal produced a handful of brilliant saves to keep the score line down.

Spireites: Loach, Whittle, Williams, Grimes, Croll, King, Weston, Oyeleke (McCourt 50’), Kellerman (Mandeville 75’), Khan, Tshimanga (Payne 64)

Unsused Subs: Kerr & Tyson

Attendance: 5,862 (56 away)