Spireites come from behind to win

A second-half turnaround saw the Spireites beat King’s Lynn Town 2-1 at the Walks – recording a fifth consecutive victory for the first time since 2013.

James Rowe made four changes to the starting XI with Gavin Gunning and Laurence Maguire returning to the matchday squad following their injuries.

The goalscorer against Eastleigh, Liam Mandeville, started, as well as Adi Yussuf with Josef Yarney, Haydn Hollis, Joe Rowley and Tom Whelan dropping out of the starting line-up.

Chesterfield created the first chance of the game after three minutes; Martin Smith’s free-kick was met by George Carline and his header back across goal went inches wide of the post.

Despite not having the majority of possession, King’s Lynn came close to opening the scoring in the 14th minute. Michael Gyasi’s effort from the edge of the box beat Grant Smith but went wide of the goal.

Soney Carey’s strike from distance five minutes later was well kept out thanks to the outstretched arm of Grant Smith.

Akwasi Asante looked to score for the first time in seven games. His rocket of a free-kick from 25 yards skimmed the top of the crossbar.

With just over five minutes of the first half to go, the hosts opened the scoring. Carey whipped his free-kick from the edge of the box around the wall and into the bottom right-hand corner.

Mandeville came close to responding almost instantly with his free-kick, but it hit the side-netting. The Blues went into the break a goal behind.

Ten minutes into the second half, Rowe made a double change with Nathan Tyson and Whelan coming on for Yussuf and Martin Smith.

The Spireites had three great chances to equalise with Gunning, Tyson and Maguire all going close to scoring.

With quarter of an hour left of the second half, Chesterfield got back on level terms. Carline’s cross from the right found Tyson who turned and fired home into the top left corner.

A minute later, Whelan completely turned the game on its head. Another Carline cross eventually fell to Whelan who picked up the ball and rocketed the ball into the back of the net.

Former Spireites forward Alex Kiwomya almost grabbed a late equaliser for King’s Lynn, but his shot was straight at Smith and the goalkeeper held the ball. Minutes later, the referee brought the game to an end.

Chesterfield: G Smith, Carline, Kerr, Gunning (C), Maguire, Whittle, Weston, M Smith (Whelan 56), Mandeville (Clarke 66), Yussuf (Tyson 56), Asante.

Unused Substitutes: Yarney, Dinanga.