Spireites extend unbeaten start

The Spireites extended their 100% start to the season with a 2-2 draw at home to Bromley.

George Carline and Manny Oyeleke scored for the Blues who conceded the equaliser in stoppage time.

James Rowe made four changes from the team that defeated King’s Lynn Town, bringing in Jamie Grimes, Saidou Khan, Jack Clarke and Danny Rowe.

The first highlight of the game came from Chesterfield, as Grimes produced a well-timed through ball into Clarke who went down as the keeper came to claim the ball. Despite calls for a potential penalty, Clarke got booked for simulation.

Moments later, the visitors found themselves in the final third as midfielder Sam Skeffington got a shot off from the left side of the box which went wide of the right post.

A surging run down the left flank from Calvin Miller created another chance for the Blues as he skipped past two men and floated a cross into the penalty area, no one could meet the ball. 

Khan was the next player to go close in the game as he picked the ball up at the edge of the area and fired a thunderbolt towards the top corner. The strike crept narrowly wide of the post.

Miller continued to cause havoc from the left as he beat his man and whipped a pinpoint cross into Carline, who positioned himself well to get a headed effort on goal which was saved well by the keeper.

Bromley came close from a corner taken by Jude Arthurs which found Omar Sowunmi whose headed effort was cleared of the line.

The visitors were awarded a penalty as Laurence Maguire brought down his man inside of the area, which was converted by Michael Cheek.

The Spireites replied instantly as George Carline picked the ball up on the edge of the box and fired a screamer into the top right corner.

The Blues went into the break at 1-1 and produced most of the chances in the first half.

The first clear chance of the second half fell to Kabongo Tshimanga as he was sent clean through on goal and got a shot off. The strike was saved brilliantly by Mark Cousins.

After 15 minutes of action, Bromley had their first opportunity in the second half. Louis Dennis floated a cross from a freekick into the box which Joe Partington met with a headed effort, the ball rattled against the crossbar. 

After some more great play down the right flank from Miller, who found Carline in the box and his header went narrowly wide of the post.

The Spireites took the lead in the 71st minute thanks to substitute Oyeleke. Miller beat his man on the left and found Oyeleke in space at the edge of the area, who then fired the ball into the bottom right corner. 

With just 10 minutes of action remaining, Cousins produced a spectacular save into the top right corner from Stefan Payne’s close ranged effort.

Deep into stoppage time, Harry Forster found Cheek on the penalty area who grabbed his second goal of the game to equalise late.

Chesterfield: Loach, Carline, Miller, Gunning, Maguire, Rowe (Payne 77), Weston, Clarke (Mandeville 61), Tshimanga, Grimes, Khan (Oyeleke 56)

Unused subs: McCourt & King