Spireites make a winning start to 2021

Spireites make a winning start to 2021

Tom Whelan scored the only goal of the game as the Spireites began 2021 with a 1-0 victory over Solihull Moors at a snowy Technique Stadium.

James Rowe made four changes from the FA Trophy penalty shoot-out win over Brackley Town a fortnight ago.

Joel Taylor, Curtis Weston, Tom Denton and Akwasi Asante replaced Josef Yarney, Jonathan Smith, Liam Mandeville and Scott Boden.

The away side created the first chance of the game, looking to break Chesterfield’s seven-hour run of not conceding. Cameron Archer was sent though on goal, but was denied by Kyle Letheren before Will Evans cleared the loose ball.

Letheren was on hand again soon after, tipping a Jordan Cranston corner over his own goal. The goalkeeper was soon on the deck after a clash of heads, but was then fine to continue.

With 20 minutes on the clock, Archer came close again to opening the scoring. He latched on to a Jamie Ward pass before firing wide of the goal.

The Blues created a golden chance to take the lead when the ball fell to Tom Denton who saw his close-range effort saved by the boot of Ryan Boot.

Moments later, Boot’s scuffed clearance rolled to Jak McCourt who tried to chip the goalkeeper, but his effort looped over the crossbar.

However, the Spireites finally took the lead just before half time. After some pinball in the area, the ball landed at the feet of Tom Whelan and the midfielder curled a lovely shot into the right corner.

Chesterfield manufactured the first chance of the second period. Curtis Weston dug out a cross on the right, which Denton got his head to but Boot clawed it away.

Despite being second best during the game, the visitors were still only a goal behind. Jamey Osbourne picked the ball up on the edge of the area, but his shot was easily claimed by Letheren.

Solihull Moors came close to grabbing an equaliser through Joe Sbarra when a wayward header fell to the midfielder and he scuffed his shot wide of the goal.

With under ten minutes to play, the Spireites were reduced to ten men when George Carline brought down Cameron Coxe and the referee brandished a second yellow card.

Chesterfield defended resolutely to deny the away side an equaliser and record a fourth successive win in all competitions.

Chesterfield: Letheren, Carline, Evans (c), Hollis, Maguire, Taylor, Weston, McCourt (Smith 74), Whelan (Mandeville 70), Denton (Yarney 84), Asante.

Unused substitutes: Rowley & Boden.