Spireites win at Wealdstone

Goals from Jamie Grimes and Joe Quigley gave the Spireites a 2-1 win at Wealdstone.

It may not have been a game for the purists but it was a huge win for the Spireites as they fought back to take the lead for a second time after the home side had evened things up just after the interval. 

Quigley’s strike, his first for the club, was a screamer and came in front of the travelling fans and consolidated fifth place in the table.

The Spireites had edged in front ten minutes before the break via a well struck blast from Jamie Grimes and, at that point, just about warranted the advantage; although the pace the home side showed down the flanks and the tenacity of Joshua Umerah caused a threat throughout.

Chesterfield had just seven games left to get their promotion ambitions back “on track” and the fixture against Wealdstone was a key test. Neither side started in a rich vein of form and in the three games, so far, between the two teams it was honours even with one win each.

The Spireites lost the previous (and only) game played at Grosvenor Vale; sadly two Tom Denton strikes proved not enough to save the game.

With players returning from injury there were now new options available and the manager decided to make four changes from the Grimsby starting line-up. Calvin Miller, Laurence Maguire, Saidou Khan and Tom Whelan stepped aside as Gavin Gunning – his first appearance since Chelsea, Tyrone Williams, Jim Kellermann and Tom Denton – his first start for fifteen months – slotted in.

A kit clash meant the Spireites sported an all-red kit as they defended the end hosting the travelling Spireites.

The first effort of the game saw Akwasi Asante scuff wide of the right upright.

Jeff King was forced to clear for a throw after the home wing-back, David Sesay fired a teasing ball across the face of the goal.

A great ball from Arron Henry set up the lively Stephan Browne, his shot from the edge of the area was held well by Loach.

A great ball found Mandeville onside and clear; sadly the home defence got back in time and Mandeville was unable to control the bobbling ball.

A promising  three-man-more saw Alex Whittle hit from distance without seriously threatening.

A free-kick from wide-left by Arron Henry whizzed inches wide of Loach’s left upright.

The Spireites built well and some good inter-play saw Denton head Grimes’ ball back into the  area but Mandeviile’s header lacked power.

Sesay won possession on the right touch line, cut inside  and into the area before finally firing narrowly wide.

Denton won a difficult header that set up a neat move and ended with Jeff King blasting wide of Wickens’ right post.

The game’s first yellow card came when centre-forward Joshua Umerah caught Jim Kellermann late and from behind.

Oh so close just after the half hour when Whittle fed Asante on the left who burst forward and looked to reach Denton ready to touch home at the far post. Jerome Okimo  spotted the danger and cleared.

Three minutes later the breakthrough came after a great build up. Curtis Weston’s cross set up a  Denton knock down which Jamie Grimes then  blasted coolly home from twelve yards for his second strike of the season.

There was little other action of note as Chesterfield saw out the two additional minutes  with ease to take a just-about deserved lead into the interval. 

The Stones levelled early in the second half after a superb long pass from the left by Clayden allowed Umerah to touch home at the far post.

Chesterfield made their first change on the hour mark as Quigley replaced Denton.

The home side were lifted by the equaliser and stepped up a gear to pose a constant threat with a loud appeal for a penalty when Umerah went down just inside the area.

Chesterfield bounced back and took the lead in the 68th minute after Asante laid the ball into the path of Quigley who fired a gem of a right-footed angled drive into the top corner to notch his first goal for the club.

The Spireites’ first corner of the game  just failed to reach the lurking Grimes at the far post and ran to safety.

A neat flick from Mandeville found Quigley in the area, this time his effort was rushed and flew high and wide.

Two more corners followed and from the second Quigley got a touch but couldn’t get any power or direction.

Wealdstone battled away and should have levelled but substitute  Jamie Mascoll hit over from two yards when it looked easier to score.

With three minutes remaining, the Stones won a free-kick 22 yards out. Arron Henry’s strong effort brought a good save from Loach but Ira Jackson could only direct the loose ball into the side netting.

Wealdstone continued to press but couldn’t find a way through a resolute Chesterfield defence who were determined to hold onto three vital points and they protected that lead as well as the ground’s unique gun turret protected the nearby airfield in WW2.

Chesterfield: Loach, Gunning, Weston, Asante (Khan 70), Mandeville (Miller 86), Williams, Kellermann, King, Grimes, Denton (Quigley 60), Whittle
Unused substitutes: Maguire, McCourt

Attendance: 1337