Defeat at York

The Spireites went down to a 2-1 defeat at York City after taking the lead through Joe Quigley.

Chesterfield deservedly led at the interval but the Minstermen bounced back with two quality finishes in the second half that clinched a big three points to ease City’s relegation fears.
It’s now back to the SMH on Monday with a quick opportunity to bounce back from a disappointing  result.
The Spireites arrived at the LNER Community Stadium as champions of the National League, having clinched the title the previous weekend with a convincing 3-0 home win over Boreham Woods; the third goal was their 100th of the campaign and the final whistle triggered wild celebrations from the players and the fans.
Paul Cook chose to make four changes from last Saturday’s line-up: in came Ryan Boot, Darren Oldaker, James Berry and Ollie Banks as Harry Tyrer, Liam Mandeville, Michael Jacobs and Mike Jones stepped aside.
The Spireites ran out to be greeted noisily by their huge travelling support in the sell-out crowd. The conditions were perfect for football, sunshine and blue skies with a light breeze and the pitch looking like it was six months earlier in the season.
York’s leading goal scorer Dipo Akinyemi had the ball in the net in the fourth minute after a long kick found him free but, as is the way nowadays, the flag went up late to correctly signal offside and deny the home number nine the opportunity to add to his 12-goal haul to date.
Just two minutes later Chesterfield took the lead after Armando Dobra burst down the right, ran strongly into the box and cut the ball back to the opposite side of the area for Quigley to run onto and hit coolly home from inside the six-yard box for his 11th goal of the season in his 100th appearance for the club.
The ever-alert Akinyemi burst through the middle into the box but Boot read the run of the ball well and claimed before  the striker could connect.
The Spireites burst back and City keeper Rory Watson happily conceded a corner after James Berry’s pace caused all sorts of problems.
In the next move, Quigley should have bagged his second after Tom Naylor’s perfect cross to the far post set up the opening; sadly his close-range header lacked power and Watson claimed well.
York went close just before the half-hour mark when another long ball found Akinyemi who was forced into a rushed effort after Jamie Grimes and Ash Palmer challenged well, his shot flew inches wide of Boot’s right upright.
Dobra tried his luck after spotting the keeper out of position, his shot was well saved by Watson’s legs but no blue shirt was on hand to pick up the loose ball.
What looked a 50/50 challenge for the ball between Grimes and Thierry Latty-Fairweather ended with the home defender receiving lengthy treatment before being stretchered off and replaced by debutant Sam Fishburn.
Once the game resumed Berry’s pace saw him burst into the box but his first-time effort was saved well by Watson. At the other end York gained a free-kick on the edge of the D but Alex Hunt’s blast was direct into the arms of Ryan Boot who claimed comfortably to end the added time that started with four minutes indicated but eventually became 15; the Spireites went into the break with their lead intact.
Chesterfield kicked off the second period but it was York that started the livelier and they went close to equalising in the first attack of note. Boot made one good save from Billy Chadwick after a bit of ping-pong in the area, the final ball produced an offside flag that ended the danger.
Dobra fed Berry who ran strongly into the area; he provided the perfect pass for Joe Quigley whose effort lacked power and failed to test Watson.
City levelled in the 54th minute. The Spireites lost possession cheaply and Akinyemi slid a peach of a diagonal ball through for Maz Kouhyar to take a touch before placing perfectly into the far corner.
Dobra again tried his luck, this time he volleyed from outside the area; Watson held well low down.
Grimes earned a yellow card after he brought down Akinyemi just outside the area; the free-kick from Danny Amos came to nothing after a Callum Howe overhead kick that flew wide of the upright.
Moments later Akinyemi made the same run down the right, with Grimes on a yellow another challenge was out of the question, the striker took a couple more strides before slotting neatly home to Boot’s left from just outside the six yard box.
Berry twice went close with shots that flew narrowly wide as the Spireites continued to push forward.
The weather changed, the heavens opened and the awful conditions made Chesterrtfield’s task much harder.
Four minutes were added but there was no happy ending as City stood firm to claim their third straight win and ease their relegation fears.
Spireites: Boot, King, Palmer, Grimes ©, Horton (Mandeville 81), Naylor, Berry, Oldaker, Dobra (Cook 89), Banks (Hobson 86), Quigley
Substitutes  not used: Jones, Harley
Referee: Elliot Bell
Attendance: 7,571 including 2,185 Chesterfield supporters