Spireites come back to win

Three goals in 23 second half minutes saw Chesterfield come from two-goals down against Eastleigh to win 3-2 and blow open the race for third place.

Kairo Mitchell and Charlie Carter came back to haunt their former club to give Eastleigh a two-goal lead going into the break.

A brace from Ryan Colclough and a 95th minute stunner from Andrew Dallas gave Paul Cook’s side the victory after a brilliant comeback.

Mike Jones lined-up an early effort from range and stung the hands of Joe McDonnell, who claimed the ball at the second attempt.

The home side found themselves a goal down within ten minutes when ex-Spireite Mitchell capitalised on carnage in the penalty area to stroke the ball into the back of the net from close-range.

Oscar Rutherford looked to add to the score soon after but was thwarted by Ross Fitzsimons after attempting to round him.

Tensions threatened to boil over as early as after 20 minutes when Fitzsimons and Mitchell got into a pushing match after the former ran the ball out of play. Referee Ben Atkinson let cooler heads prevail and gave the pair a booking.

Colclough made his way into the area after good work by Joe Quigley; the midfielder played in Darren Oldaker, who saw his shot blocked by the foot of McDonnell.

Eastleigh doubled their lead just after the half hour mark. Mitchell’s original effort was spilled by Fitzsimons before another former Chesterfield player in Carter swept home.

With 18 minutes to go, the Spireites found a way back into the game. A whipped cross from Liam Mandeville was diverted into the bottom left corner by the head of Colclough.

With the game just about to tip into added time, the Technique Stadium rose to its feet once more. Colclough yet again stole a march on his marker and delicately flicked in Jeff King’s cross.

Chesterfield tails were up, and they would find a late winner with virtually the final kick of the game. Substitute Dallas made his way to the edge of the area before unleashing a deadly finish into the back of the net to send the majority of the 6,733 in attendance home with smiles on their faces.

The Spireites move up to third with only three games to play, with Woking playing in the late fixture against Notts County.