Spireites draw at home

The Spireites had to settle for a point against Wealdstone, with Armando Dobra’s equaliser securing a 1-1 draw.

Paul Cook made three changes from Saturday’sgoalless draw at Solihull. Darren Oldaker, Ryan Colclough and Joe Quigley came in for Paul McCallum, Dobra and Ollie Banks.

Chesterfield had the first chance of the game. Ryheem Sheckleford’s cross almost found its way in after ninety seconds, but his effort sailed just over the bar.

The Blues had a lot of the ball in the early stages. They came close after 15 minutes when Ashley Palmer’s header was cleared off the line following Oldaker’s corner.

However, Wealdstone responded as Tarryn Allarakhia’s header from a cross was tipped over by Ross Fitzsimons.

It was the visitors who struck first after 24 minutes. A good save from Fitzsimons resulted in a goal-mouth scramble, with Micah Obiero tapping home from close range.

Chesterfield almost responded immediately. Colclough struck a fierce effort at the Wealdstone goal, but Samuel Howes saved well to preserve the Stones’ lead.

Wealdstone almost doubled their advantage through Ashley Charles, but Fitzsimons denied his low effort from point-blank range.

Jamie Grimes and Mike Jones both received yellow cards whilst the Spireites searched for an equaliser before half-time.

The first half ended with Chesterfield trailing by one goal and needing a response.

The Blues started the second 45 minutes brightly. An effort from Colclough was saved well by Howes, and Oldaker’s rebound was blocked.

Cook looked to the bench for inspiration. He introduced McCallum and Dobra for Quigley and Jones.

Finally, the equaliser arrived for Chesterfield 20 minutes into the second half. An almost instant impact from Dobra saw him pick up the ball and curl in a pacey effort from the edge of the box.

Chesterfield kept the pressure on well and seemed to be the team most likely to find the winner as the end of the game approached.

Sheckleford almost found the magic moment with a strong strike from the right side of the box, but Howes held on to the ball.

The Blues’ final change saw Jes Uchegbulam enter the pitch, with Colclough making way.

Uchegbulam tested the Wealdstone goalkeeper with a low effort, but once again Howes denied Chesterfield.

Six minutes added time gave the Blues hope of earning the three points.

However, no winner could be found, and the spoils were shared.

Chesterfield: Fitzsimons, Sheckleford, Palmer, Grimes ©, Horton, Jones (Dobra 61), Oldaker, Akinola, Mandeville, Colclough (Uchegbulam 82), Quigley (McCallum 61).

Unused substitutes: King, Banks.

Attendance: 5,472 (93 away)