Spireites edge seven-goal thriller

The Spireites edged Aldershot Town in a frantic game at The EBB Stadium in a 4-3 thriller.

The game went into the break 1-1 but after several ebbing and flowing, Joe Quigley struck the winner in the 87th minute.

Paul Cook named an unchanged side from the one that beat Hartlepool United in dramatic fashion. New signing Miguel Freckleton started from the bench

Following a scrappy start to proceedings, Chesterfield created the first chance of the game as Ryan Colclough forced Jack Bycroft into a strong save.

The winger was once again denied by the Shots’ loanee goalkeeper after he cut-in from the left and saw his shot parried up into the air and eventually cleared.

From the clearance, the home side went down the other end and took the lead. A swift counter-attack took the defence by surprise and after a bit of havoc in the area, Josh Stokes rolled the ball into an empty net.

Ten minutes later, the Spireites dragged themselves back onto level terms. A Liam Mandeville corner was poked towards goal by Ash Palmer; the effort was blocked on the goaline and forced into the back of the net by Colclough for his fourth goal of the season.

Stokes had a couple of efforts for Aldershot as the first half came to the end – neither of which troubled Harry Tyrer.

After a scrappy first half, Chesterfield came racing out of the blocks in the second period. In the 48th minute, Jeff King’s cross was partially cleared as far as Will Grigg who rolled the ball beyond Bycroft and into the back of the net.

The striker almost had a second soon after as Jacobs sought to find him with a wicked low cross – Haji Mnoga just about diverted the ball out for a corner.

From the resulting corner, Mandeville found Tom Naylor and the midfielder headed home from close-range for his second goal in as many games.

On the hour-mark, Aldershot cut the deficit down to one. Lorent Told made his way down the right side, darted into the area and squared the ball for Jack Barham. The attacker couldn’t miss and found the mostly empty net.

In a topsy-turvy game, Quigley got the last laugh. He was the first to react to Jamie Grimes’ blocked shot and cannoned the ball past Bycroft from close-range.

The win moves the Spireites up to second place with the visit of Dagenham & Redbridge to come next Saturday.

Chesterfield: Tyrer, King (Dobra 70), Palmer, Grimes (C), Horton (Freckleton 70), Jones, Naylor, Mandeville, Jacobs, Colclough, Grigg (Quigley 83).

Subs not used: Oldaker, Berry.