Spireites edged out at Altrincham

An inspired substitution for Altrincham saw them come from behind to win 2-1 with two late goals from Dior Angus, who took both goals superbly to ensure they continued their unbeaten start.
The Spireites had taken the lead from a Jamie Grimes header from a Liam Mandeviile corner. In the main they’d looked comfortable in containing any threat from Alty without looking like adding to their own score.
Altrincham showed more purpose and fight in the late stages and it was enough to see them home against the Spireites who now need to pick themselves up for another tough challenge on Monday when Hartlepool visit.
Both teams took the lead at home the previous weekend and both had to frustratingly settle for a share of the spoils after being pegged back; Oldham’s controversial equaliser deep into added time cost the Spireites their pole position and Boreham Wood’s leveller left Alty in tenth place.
The season is still taking shape but the Spireites knew that they always have a tough task at Moss Lane with the result going in favour of the home side in the first two of the three contests; last season Chesterfield edged the fixture during the same Bank Holiday weekend, coming from behind to take over at the top of the table.
With two tough games in three days, Paul Cook opted to make three changes from the side that started against the Latics; in came Joe Quigley, Michael Jacobs and Jeff King at the expense of Will Grigg, Ryan Colclough and the injured Ryheem Sheckleford.
It and  was perfect conditions at kick off: warm and  sunny but the clouds looking full enough to provide a later shower.
It was a lively start from both sides. Justin Amaluzor looked dangerous but Branden Horton shielded the ball back to Harry Tyrer.
At the other end, King, making his first start of the season provided a quality ball in from the right and Quigley looked set to capitalise, instead the physical attention of Alty captain James Jones ensured the danger passed.
The Spireites were enjoying some quality possession and forced three corners in quick succession; they broke the deadlock from the third, taken on the left by Mandeviie. Spireites skipper Grimes rose superbly at the far post  and connected well; his downward header to the far corner gave homer keeper Ethan Ross no chance.
The first yellow card went to King after a late challenge on the lively Matty Kosylo; the  home side started a promising period that ended with Chris Conn-Clarke firing waywardly wide of Tyrer’s left upright.
The Spireites continued to push forward in numbers but failed to find a clear opening; from one such move Darren Oldaker hit over from 25 yards.
Chesterfield picked up two more yellow cards after fouls by Armando Dobra and Ash Palmer, from the latter the free-kick by Conn-Clarke didn’t pose any trouble for Tyrer.
Three minutes were added but, apart from Oldaker getting a “talking to” that almost saw him added to a growing list of entries in the referee’s notebook, little football took place.
The Spireites resumed, kicking towards the 1,000 plus travelling fans and quickly threatened; a well taken King free-kick, wide-right, to the back post found its way back to Tom Naylor who hit over from the edge of the area.
There was lots of probing and neat possession but clear openings were not forthcoming
The home side had a strong period with Lewis Banks forcing Tyrer into a low down claim.
The Spireites made a double substitution. Colclough and James Berry were introduced as Jacobs and Dobra made way.
Tyrer held cleanly efforts from Reagan Linney and Amaluzor.
Cook made his final change as Ollie Banks took over from Oldaker
Altrincham continued to threaten as Elliott Osborne hit over. Moments later Alty levelled after substitute Angus picked up a misplaced pass on the right, took a couple of strides  and fired coolly home on the ground to Tyrer’s right.
Seconds later it could have been two as Tyrer managed to save a shot from Linney with his knee.
Five minutes were added and both teams looked to win it. Linney’s angled shot was narrowly wide but with a minute remaining Angus received from the left, turned on a sixpence, and blasted home from inside the six-yard box.
The Spireites had time to gain a corner but not enough time to stop the Robins ending their unbeaten start to the campaign.
Spireites: Tyrer, Horton, Naylor, Grimes, Mandeville, Oldaker (Banks 80 min)  Jacobs (Berry 68 min), Dobra (Colclough 68 min), King, Palmer, Quigley
Substitutes not used: Grigg, Williams
Referee: Sam Mulhall
Attendance: 2,714 (1,047 Chesterfield fans)