Victory on the road for Spireites

A first-half Alex Whittle goal was enough for the Spireites to secure a 1-0 win over Aldershot Town at the EBB Stadium.

James Rowe made one change as Martin Smith came into the starting XI in the place of Tom Whelan.

Both sets of players and management staff observed a minute of silence on the 12-month anniversary since the first national lockdown and pay respects to the NHS and people who have lost their lives because of COVID-19.

The first chance of the game fell to Adi Yussuf. The forward received the ball from an Akwasi Asante knock down and drove forward into the area, but his shot was scuffed wide of the goal.

The two sets of teams struggled to create many chances with the defences coming out on top and keeping the ball away from the penalty areas.

However, Chesterfield took the lead after 26 minutes. Jack Clarke made his way down the right-hand side and sent over a low cross. The ball made its way to the back post where Whittle composed himself and struck home for his first goal for the club.

The home side created two good chances just before half time, the first of which saw Grant Smith react quickly to hold on to Mohamed Bettamer’s header.

Smith was once again called into action in added time; Josh Rees’ hard hit volley from outside the area was palmed away by the goalkeeper to send the Spireites into the break ahead by one goal.

The second half started off as a scrappy affair with the referee’s whistle disrupting the flow of play – a couple of yellow cards were also issued.

Aldershot created a good chance just before the hour-mark. Bettamer guided his header towards goal, but Laurence Maguire cleared the ball off the line.

Chesterfield defenders and Smith never seemed to be under any danger in the second half, continuously clearing or catching the ball.

With ten minutes to go, Ricky Miller found himself through in goal after latching onto Haydn Hollis’ backwards header. The striker was never in control of the ball and his effort lacked conviction.

The Spireites managed to see out the game with composure to secure back-to -back wins and move within two points of the play-offs.

Chesterfield: G Smith, Carline, Kerr, Hollis, Maguire (C), Whittle, M Smith, Weston, Clarke (Whelan 55), Yussuf (Dinanga 71), Asante (Mandeville 88).

Unused substitutes: Yarney & Tyson.