Point secured on the road

The Spireites came away from the Chigwell Construction Stadium with a commendable 2-2 draw despite having ten men for over 80 minutes.

James Rowe made two enforced changes to the side that draw to Boreham Wood. Marcus Dinanga replaced the injured Joe Rowley.

Gavin Gunning also came in to make his full debut, replacing the suspended Jak McCourt. Jack Clarke and Joel Taylor returned to the bench.

Chesterfield had the ball in the back of the net within the opening three minutes. Tom Whelan’s corner was headed in at the back post by George Carline, but the referee blew up for a foul during the set-piece.

Whelan was involved again soon after. Unfortunately, his high foot caught Alex Reynolds and a straight red card was shown to the midfielder.

However, the Spireites took the lead despite the one-man disadvantage. Captain Will Evans picked up the ball in the area and fired the ball past Elliott Justham at his near post.

It only took Dagenham & Redbridge a few minutes to bring the scores back level. A well worked move eventually fell to the feet of Scott Wilson, who guided the ball beyond Adam Przybek.

After an explosive 20 minutes from both sides, things calmed down with the teams battling hard for the ball.

With five minutes of the first half to go, the away side re-took the lead. Haydn Hollis did brilliantly on the right-hand side of the box before having his shot saved. Justham palmed the ball into the path of Akwasi Asante and the forward tapped home from close-range.

The home side made two changes at half time and it was one of the substitutes in Sam Deering who let fly from 25-yards in the 50th minute. The shot forced Przybek to tip the ball onto the post.

Two minutes later, Deering found the target. The midfielder unleashed a rocket from range which found the top right-hand corner.

Both teams started to search for goal to put their side ahead. Evans latched onto Carline’s cross at the back post, but couldn’t get the right connection on the ball.

The hosts had the ball in the back of the net with 20 minutes to go after Liam Gordon placed the ball past Przybek and into the back of the net. The flag was up though for offside and the goal was ruled out.

Deering almost grabbed his second goal of the game in three minutes of added time; his 30-yard piledriver skimmed the crossbar.

A resolute Chesterfield side continued to defend and keep Dagenham at bay. The full time whistle blew as both teams came away with the share of the spoils.

Chesterfield: Przybek, Carline, Evans, Hollis, Maguire, Whittle, Gunning (M. Smith 78), Weston, Whelan, Dinanga (Mandeville 63), Asante.

Unused Substitutes: Taylor, Yarney, Clarke.