Spireites win at Barnet

The Spireites moved closer to the National League title after beating second-place Barnet 2-0 at The Hive.

Michael Jacobs scored in the first half before Will Grigg made sure of the result with time running out.

Paul Cook made five changes from the side that drew to Rochdale at the weekend with Ash Palmer, Bailey Clements, Mike Jones, Jacobs and Joe Quigley coming into starting XI.

James Berry also returned to the matchday squad after recovering from his hamstring injury.

Chesterfield manufactured the first chance of the fixture as Armando Dobra found Jacobs with a brilliant back-heel, before the midfielder skewed his effort wide of the goal.

The hosts responded accordingly and had their first chance when Zak Brunt’s volley from the edge of the area was smothered by Harry Tyrer.

Harry Pritchard then rose highest to meet a cross with a header that looped onto the crossbar and then cleared to safety.

On the half-hour mark, Jamie Grimes sent a long ball through to Bailey Clements; the full-back then squared the ball across to Jacobs, who tapped home from close-range.

The Blues continued to press for a second. Quigley didn’t get the right connection to Jacobs’ low cross before Naylor swept his attempt the wrong side of the post.

Grimes came close to doubling the lead after the break. He rose highest to meet Jaocbs’ corner, but his header was cleared by the Barnet defence.

Pritchard gave Chesterfield another scare before the hour mark. His volley from 12 yards out cleared the crossbar.

However, with ten minutes to go the game was wrapped up. Naylor’s brilliant bursting run down the right-hand side allowed him to set-up substitute Grigg, who couldn’t miss from four yards.

The Spireites now need 11 points from their last 11 games to secure their passage back to the Football League.

Chesterfield: Tyrer, Sheckleford, Palmer, Grimes ©, Clements, Jones, Naylor, Jacobs (Mandeville 77), Banks, Dobra (Dobra 87), Quigley (Grigg 65)

Unused Substitutes: Williams, Hobson.