Tshimanga at the double as Spireites held by Torquay

Tshimanga at the double as Spireites held by Torquay

Kabongo Tshimanga’s double wasn’t enough to defeat Torquay following a Gulls comeback as they scored two late goals to make it 2-2.

James Rowe made two changes to the side that defeated Yeovil Town last Saturday. Jamie Grimes and Manny Oyeleke were replaced by Laurence Maguire and Jak McCourt. 

The first opportunity fell the way of the Spireites. George Carline set Tshimanga free down the right and he cut inside and found McCourt who fired wide of the upright. 

On ten minutes, Chesterfield carved out a second opportunity. Tshimanga played a neat ball through for Stefan Payne whose deflected shot went out for a corner. The resulting corner saw Payne again have a shot deflected wide. However, the third came to nothing.

Midway through the first period, Curtis Weston recovered the ball well on the edge of the Torquay area. McCourt played the ball into the box and Payne met it well, but his header was saved by Shaun MacDonald low to his right. 

After a period of tight play, the Blues were close to taking the lead. Carline’s right-footed volley bounced just wide of the Torquay goal after neat play from Liam Mandeville.

Just before the break, Carline won his challenge on the right before feeding Tshimanga. He slotted Payne in whose effort was well blocked on the right-hand side of the box. 

Torquay hit back with their first effort of the game. Klaidi Lolos managed to ride a couple of challenges before hitting a close-range effort straight at Scott Loach. His rebound effort was also well saved by the Spireites keeper. 

The away side started as they left off. A ball was slipped through for Asa Hall whose cross couldn’t quite be forced goalward by Lolos.

Mandeville’s quick turn brought a foul 30 yards from goal. McCourt’s ball across was tamely headed at the goal at the back post by Carline. 

A quick breakaway from the edge of their own area saw the Spireites take the lead. Maguire burst down the left before slipping Miller in. His low cross couldn’t be claimed by MacDonald and Tshimanga (59) was quickest to react and poke home. 

Keelan O’Connell almost levelled for the Gulls after the hour-mark when he found himself in on goal, but he failed to hit the target from 12 yards out. 

Both teams had a prolonged period of jostling in the midfield, trying to gain an upper hand and it was Chesterfield who did just that.

Maguire blocked the ball deep into the Torquay half, drove forward with the ball but fired his shot over the bar. 

Minutes later, Miller was released down the left. His wicked cross was met on the volley by Carline arriving late at the back post. He saw his shot well saved by the legs of the keeper but Tshimanga (72) was on hand to pick up the pieces and slot home his ninth of the season. 

The away side pulled a goal back with 88 minutes played. Armani Little found himself in space in the penalty area and coolly slotted his left-footed effort past the diving Loach. 

Torquay almost brought themselves level, but Danny Wright’s header lacked power and was saved well by Loach.

In the last minute, the away side won themselves a corner. The ball was swung in, and Chesterfield failed to clear the ball in a goalmouth scramble, with the last touch appearing to come off a blue shirt.

Chesterfield: Loach, Carline, Kerr, Gunning, Maguire, Miller (Whittle 89), Weston, McCourt, Mandeville (Khan 68), Payne (Rowe 74), Tshimanga     

Unused substitutes: King & Grimes

Attendance: 5,127 (132)